SoDo joined the Great American Clean Up on Saturday, May 3, 2014 for the first work party. After some initial heavy tree work by the City DPW, a group of neighbors had a fun and productive morning of trimming, raking, planting and fence painting. There will be a second clean up day on Saturday, May 31, from 9 am to 1 pm. Please help us make the park a welcoming sight for visitors as well as a beautiful space for all members of the neighborhood to enjoy. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|A Google Earth shot of Buckingham Square Park "before".|
|Shots from the May 3 initial clean-up.|
Buckingham Square occupies a central place in early Hartford history. Main and Buckingham Streets were laid out in the original settlement of the town; a map of 1640 shows a number of houses in the area, which was immediately south of the Little (or Park) River. It was at the intersection of these two highways that in 1670 a dissenting group from the First Church put up a meetinghouse; until 1827, their meetinghouse stood in the center of the present Buckingham Street and extended out into Main Street. When the present church building was erected on a site further south, the old site was laid out as a park. This park, now known as Buckingham Square, was approved by a Town Meeting in 1830. Buckingham Street was named after Joseph Buckingham, treasurer of the colony, and son of the second pastor of the Second Church (historic information via).